
Prime Minister Scott Morrison has struck a $4.6 billion peace deal with Catholic and independent schools, which over a decade he says will bring to an end a long-running war over the Gonski 2.0 school funding model.
But despite his positive spin, it’s drawing criticism from all corners of politics.
What does the private school funding deal involve?
On Thursday, Mr Morrison told reporters in Canberra his deal was a win for students, parents and teachers.
“For students, this will mean the opportunity to get the best results from school. For parents, it will mean that choice remains affordable,” Mr Morrison said.
“For teachers, it will mean certainty of funding so they can get on with the job.”
The government will contribute $3.2 billion over 10 years from 2020 to fund changes to the way parents’ wealth is measured, based on income tax data.
In 2019, independent and Catholic schools will receive $170.8 million over the calendar year.
And they say a further $1.2 billion “Choice and Affordability Fund” will be spent on Catholic and independent schools over 10 years to help keep fees affordable and maintain choice.
What the Morrison Government is saying about the private school funding deal.
Education Minister Dan Tehan told parliament federal funding to public schools was at record levels, going from $6.8 billion last year to $7.3 billion this year and $7.9 billion the following year.
“From 2017 to 2027, commonwealth funding to state schools will grow by 86 per cent.”
In May last year Mr Morrison as treasurer ruled out any “special deals” being done.