KIIS FM have prematurely dumped two of their biggest shows a week before both were due to wrap up.
National drive duo Hughsey and Kate received a phone call after their show on Friday informing them that day’s show was their last, while Melbourne breakfast duo Matt and Meshel received the same phone call on Friday morning after their own show.
The news meant both radio duos were robbed of the opportunity to say goodbye to their loyal listeners. Their last shows were originally scheduled for December 8.
Next year, Hughesy and Kate will jump ship to Southern Cross Austereo, hosting the drive slot vacated by the outgoing Hamish and Andy. Matt and Meshel, however, were axed earlier this year for the incoming NZ duo Polly ‘PJ’ Harding and Jase Hawkins.
In a statement to News Corp, Meshel Laurie said her team was blindsided by the call.
“I can only wish the new kids luck, they’ll need it,” she said on Sunday.
“Obviously the company didn’t trust any of us with a proper farewell, which is pretty offensive given the experience of the broadcasters involved.
“None of us has ever acted with anything less than full integrity, honesty and commitment which is unfortunately not what we received in return.”
“It was a bit of a shock but I can’t say I’m unhappy to be on holidays earlier than expected!”
Posting on Facebook, Laurie said "it's been a deeply weird two years" made easier by their "brilliant" immediate team who "made the daily grind survivable".