By Geoff Thompson, Joel Tozer and Wayne Harley
The urgent medical evacuation of a gravely ill asylum seeker from Manus Island was delayed by almost 30 hours partly because a public servant had gone home for the day and did not check his emails until the following morning.
That bureaucratic delay is labelled as “pathetic” by Australian Medical Association president Dr Brian Owler on Monday’s Four Corners program.
It also took almost five hours for the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to respond to the initial evacuation request, and when it did, the department asked why the detainee could not be treated on Manus Island.
The 24-year-old Iranian, Hamid Khazaei, had been on Manus Island for almost a year when he suddenly became unwell from a skin infection on his leg, and died 13 days later in Brisbane’s Mater Hospital.
The antibiotics available on Manus Island were unable to stop the infection and it rapidly progressed to septicaemia.
Mr Khazaei suffered three heart attacks and his brain began dying before he was finally evacuated to Australia for medical treatment.
Mr Khazaei was first evacuated to Port Moresby on the afternoon of Tuesday August 26, 2014.
But earlier that day a senior doctor from International SOS (ISOS) which was organising the evacuation, recommended instead that Mr Khazaei be evacuated directly to a hospital in Brisbane.
Speaking out for the first time, Dr Stewart Condon, who is now the president of Medicins San Frontieres Australia, told Four Corners that his Brisbane recommendation was not acted upon.
“That’s certainly something that I strongly felt about some of these cases, that our recommendation to move to Port Moresby was inadequate,” he said.
“Knowing the level of medical care available in Port Moresby and knowing that many of the similar cases we worked around the world would move to a place like Brisbane.”