On Thursday 5th October, The New York Times published an explosive report alleging 65-year-old film executive, Harvey Weinstein sexually harassed many women in Hollywood over a period of 30 years.
The report alleged Weinstein had previously reached at least eight settlements – worth anywhere between US$80,000 to US$150,000. Eight women shared their experience with Harvey Weinstein in the report, including actress Ashley Judd.
Harvey has since been sacked from The Weinstein Company and his wife has announced she is leaving him.
Listen: The Mamamia Out Loud team talk Weinstein.
Since then, actresses Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow have come forward alleging similar scenarios of sexual harassment. Thirteen other women shared their stories of alleged sexual assault by Harvey Weinstein with the New Yorker, including three who said they were raped.
All up, so far 23 women have come forward with their experiences.
But why now? And who is alleging what?
This is every key piece of information you need to know, so far.
What are the women saying?
Angelina Jolie
“I had a bad experience with Harvey Weinstein in my youth, and as a result, chose never to work with him again and warn others when they did,” Jolie said in an email to the Times. “This behaviour towards women in any field, any country is unacceptable.”
Gwyneth Paltrow