
Hamas has handed over the bodies of Israeli infant Kfir Bibas and his four-year-old brother Ariel.
They were the two youngest captives taken by Hamas in their October 7, 2023 attack, and among the most potent symbols of the trauma inflicted that day.
Red Cross vehicles drove away from the handover site in the Gaza Strip with four black coffins that had been placed on a stage.
Each of the caskets had a small picture of the hostages.
Armed Hamas militants in black and camouflage uniforms surrounded the area.
United Nations rights chief Volker Turk called the parading of bodies in Gaza abhorrent and cruel and said it flew in the face of international law.
"Under international law, any handover of the remains of deceased must comply with the prohibition of cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, ensuring respect for the dignity of the deceased and their families," he said in a statement.
Listen to The Quicky discuss anti-Semitism in Australia. Post continues below.
After the hostages were handed over by the Red Cross, the coffins were scanned for explosives, according to the military, before being transported to Israel.
Israelis lined the road in the rain near the Gaza border to pay their respects as the convoy carrying the coffins drove by.
"We stand here together, with a broken heart, the sky is also crying with us and we pray to see better days," said one woman, who gave her name only as Efrat.
In Tel Aviv, people gathered, some weeping, at what has come to be known as Hostages Square outside Israel's defence headquarters.