Donald Trump’s claim that he took a “pass” on being named TIME magazine’s annual Person of the Year is getting skewered on social media.
The US President, who was named TIME’s Person of the Year in 2016, said that he was “probably” going to be honoured again, but that he needed to agree to an interview and “major photo shoot”.
Listen: Mia Freedman and Amelia Lester have a theory as to why Trump’s Twitter feed is filled with hate. Post continues after audio.
“Time Magazine called to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named “Man (Person) of the Year,” like last year,” Trump wrote while on Thanksgiving break at his Mar-a-Lago club.
“But I would have to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot. I said probably is no good and took a pass. Thanks anyway!”
TIME disputed the tweet, saying he was “incorrect” about the selection process: “The president is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year. Time does not comment on our choice until publication, which is December 6.”
Trump has yet to respond to TIME’s clarification.
Meanwhile, celebrities like Mark Hamill and Julia Louis-Dreyfus quickly began to pile on Trump late on Friday with their own “probable” distinctions.